Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What the Heck... is Roggebrood?

Roggebrood is een voedzaam product bereid uit gebakken deeg. Het deeg bestaat uit rogge, water, zout en enzymen.

Translated from DutchRye bread is a nutritious product made from baked dough. The dough consists of rye, water, salt and enzymes.

Apparently in Holland, this bread is mainly eaten in three provinces: Groningen, Friesland and Drenthe. I've visited many places in Holland but have never been to those three. Fortunately, there's a Dutch grocery store just 30 minutes away.

Wikipedia tells me that there are significant biochemical differences between wheat and rye and that this affects the broodbakproces. The bread is baked from coarsely ground rye without yeast. Apparently the bread gets it dark colour and sweet taste through a long baking process which converts starch into sugar. 

I think it has a good smaak (taste).

1 comment:

  1. Goede dag, de liefste vriend! I am ridiculously excited about this blog as I am always in need of a new recipe and I try to make sure I keep up with the veggies!

    Let's make a deal - I'll use this blog to keep myself fed and you can ensure that I'm still alive by checking out www.murphyandhoyle.blogspot.com to see how well I make out. :)

    I'm glad the bday card arrived ok (and hopefully in time)! Miss you. xo

    ReplyDelete