Monday, November 23, 2009

I Love My Magnetic Spice Jars

When I was apartment hunting, I knew I wanted a place with charm and character, great architectural details and wooden floors. But equally important was a close proximity to the health food store. What would I do if I couldn't easily buy spices in bulk?

For the longest time I stored my spices in a wicker basket,  in the same plastic bags that I scooped them into.  I tried to be organized - I sorted them according to whether they were herbs or spices, hot or savoury. I made lists of my collection. I even updated the lists sometimes.

But all organizational tactics would eventually fail. Bags were tossed on the table in an attempt to find marjoram or mustard seeds.

My solution? Magnetic spice jars. 

I'd been looking for a while but Ikea was expensive (3 for $10?!) and I'd heard mixed reviews of DIY methods. I finally came across some at Bulk Barn and they were reasonable - about $1.45 each. 

It's honestly improved my cooking experience. I'm just so pleased when I can grab the spices I need, no tossing about required.

No comments:

Post a Comment